Your Blood

One of the most precious gifts you can give to a person is your blood.

Feeling lazy on a Saturday afternoon and don’t have anything good to do? Instead of wasting your time doin nothing, you can actually do somethin.

Go to the nearest hospital, ask for the blood donation section, and volunteer to give your blood. There’s ALWAYS someone who needs it!

(If you’re blood type’s O neg, that’s even MORE of a reason to go donate cause it’s rare)

Scared of needles? Try not to think about how it’s gonna go in and just keep your eye on the prize: you may end up saving a life that day.

If you do go and donate blood, take a pic of your arm giving out the blood and I’ll gladly post it on the blog!

10 thoughts on “Your Blood

1. Ali March 19, 2012 / 11:27 am

Gays are forbidden to donate blood. No really you’re not allowed in the US and I think the UK either

• Alloush March 24, 2012 / 11:06 pm

Actually once you donate for the Red Cross you have to fill in a form. In the form they ask you if you have had homosexual sex before. Before last year I didn’t have a problem with that because I was still a virgin, but now I don’t donate blood anymore because I don’t want to lie.

2. angrybourgeois March 19, 2012 / 3:09 pm

Yep similar to the US, in Germany MSM are prohibited from donating blood. The federal medical association excludes “persons, whose sexual behavior or life circumstances comport a higher infectuous risk for the general public, e.g. homo- and bisexual men, drug addicts, male and female prostitutes and inmates.” (source http://www.bundesaerztekammer.de/downloads/haemotherapie_msm_erlaeuterung_final.pdf)

… which is reasonable because I invite people from all of these groups over every saturday.

Thanks fpr the initiative, go donate!

3. L March 23, 2012 / 8:40 am

sexy arm…mmmmh

4. jack March 24, 2012 / 9:23 am

I suggest donating blood to the Lebanese Red Cross blood banks as they would not make profit out of it.

5. Hala J. March 24, 2012 / 2:51 pm

The Red Cross people come to AUB every three months or so and hold blood drives. Every single time I want to donate blood something prevents it. Either I haven’t eaten well, or I don’t have time between classes (and when I do the blood drive’s done for the day)…etc. Last time they were here, I went in and filled out all the paper work and was finally *finally* ready to give blood. I was so close!

Then they pricked my finger for a small sample and I was told I couldn’t do it because I was “slightly anemic”.

Dammit. Next time I hope to have better luck…

• BeirutBoy March 25, 2012 / 10:48 pm

Ohhh no! I didnt know you can be “slightly” anemic! hehe. Salemtik w hope u can try to donate again.

• Hala J. March 26, 2012 / 1:35 am

Haha, I know right? But apparently, to donate, you need a hemoglobin level of 13 and mine was 11. So no dice. Inshallah it’ll work out next time!