Majdi and Wajdi

Majdi & Wajdi

Majdi & Wajdi are two gay characters featured on a Lebanese comedy show.

They’re extremely stereotypical: feminine, promiscuous, demand big dick, & add the letters “s” and “z” when they talk (Hayatsy, Majdzi, Wajdzi).

Many people are against  featuring them on TV. The straight ones think it glorifies homosexuality and fear that their kids may become gay, while gays are against it because it shows them as feminine sex freaks.

But what really interests me is the people who find it funny.

You see, 2 weeks ago, I was watching TV with my family and “Majdi w Wajdi” got on (they were begging the prison guard to let them go to prison while they carried a bag of soap). I was laughing. My family was laughing. The average Lebanese viewer was laughing.

But were we all laughing at the same thing?

I was laughing WITH Majdi & Wajdi.

Everybody else was most probably laughing AT Majdi & Wajdi.

I’m gay and I get it. I have my feminine moments and talking in a girly way is a part of our gay culture. It’s not something bad. But when you take that small part and base your entire skit around it, you end up showing a one dimensional side of gays.

But at least the show’s keeping the conversation going.

Viewers love the actors Adel Karam and Abbas Chahine who play the characters, so the love and respect they have for those actors can indirectly translate to some likability for Majdi and Wajdi.

They even have a fag hag Tee Tee (pronounced Tsee Tsee) in the show who’s very supportive of her two gays, so that’s good. That shows the viewer that these gays have straight friends who don’t laugh AT them but listen to their problems (and boy drama).

So like it or not, Majdi and Wajdi are a part of Lebanese pop culture.

But at what price? Only time will tell…

Watch more Majdi w Wajdi videos here

23 thoughts on “Majdi and Wajdi

1. Anonymous November 10, 2011 / 12:51 am

Completely with what you said. As Samar Habib said in one of her interviews “Any publicity is good publicity”

Mo K.

2. John November 10, 2011 / 10:57 am

Yes and no….Inno i would say Yes if there is something else on tv that balances what majdi and wajdi are like….
    But i would say No because there is nothing else other than these 2 lovely characters but they are just harming us indirectly…
    We need a character on tv that shows the other side of the Gay community in Lebanon…what we go through, what it is like to be gay, our families, people’s acceptance, dating, bullying, sex, coming out…a character that shows what no one showed till now…from el chater yi7ke to a7mar bil khat el 3arid, Zaven or ti72i2 (the old and the new series)…
    It makes me wonder where are they? Gay writer and directors…I am sure there are a lot of them in Lebanon…They should seriously do something about it!

3. Lebanon Rebel November 10, 2011 / 12:16 pm

I heard that the director doesn’t really mean anything bad by their portrayal but what i would like to know is the actor’s opinions, do they laugh at their characters or with them. I like hearing the opinions of everyone about homosexuality, its a slight sad thing cause no one ever has a good one but I’m interested.

4. Ziad November 10, 2011 / 2:44 pm

I am a little ambivalent towards them. I watched an episode on youtube with my cousin
    (initially feeling weird about it ) but halfway through I started laughing… It was about buying a motorcycle and arguing about who gets to sit “behind” and who gets to handle the “handlebars”.

It’s obvious that this humor is poking at the over-sexualization of the characters but regarding this as homophobic might be taking it a little too far. They’re depicting exactly what they say they are: “2 hyper-feminine gay men”… and wherever this is depicted, it’s always in the same manner. Sassy Gay Friend? Are they mostly about sex? Obviously it’s not unique to us gays. example: Barney from How I Met Your Mother. His whole character is based on scoring.

So far any episodes I’ve seen have usually dealt with them nonchalantly. They never said anything about this being disgusting or wrong. They are just acting as themselves.

Actually if anyone’s to blame, it’s just some viewers who think everything they see on TV and use this depiction to reinforce their own negative stereotypes.

So I suppose their presence on TV is not always helping, then again it’s not really hurting us either. Whether you laugh at them or laugh with them, it’s not like they’re trying to change your opinion.

5. Mariam November 11, 2011 / 7:30 am

I love Majdi w Wajdi cauz they are funny but they are extra. At the same time, it creates a space for gay characters which then translates into acceptance of it. And you have to be extra to make people laugh.

6. E! November 13, 2011 / 5:20 am

I think they’re funny, I have no issue with it.

7. John November 13, 2011 / 8:33 am

They are funny…very funny!!! But that’s not the point…the point is what your parents and my parents will think about gays….these 2 characters will not make it easy for this generation or the next generation to come out of the closet without being bullied.

8. E! November 13, 2011 / 12:25 pm

Even if these characters weren’t on television my parents and people of that generation will always have misconceptions about gays.

9. Peter November 13, 2011 / 11:33 pm

I think they’re serving the cause in a relatively positive way, at least their appearance on a well-seen family program show says that gays are here, they’re indifferent to the main majority culture, nothing can inhibit them from expressing their own views which seem “wierd” to some … visibility raises tolerance.

• John November 14, 2011 / 10:44 am

They only serve the stereotype that gay guys are feminine and obsessed with big dicks. Some of us are like this and this is absolutely fine for me but I refuse to be represented by them.

10. firas November 21, 2011 / 9:25 pm

i think majdi & wajdi in their TV show are doing more harm than good because they’re directly or indirectly making straight people more homophobic and the homosexuals more homosexuals, we live in a country which fortunately didn’t loose its entire faith in God, and God is very clear in his holy books, he forbade the homosexual acts. so any act against God’s will is definetly rejected, and God gave us the freedom to choose between heaven and hell, and we know best what he meant by that. so gay people stop glorifying the gay life, it’s a lifestyle that leads to the spiritual death which is worse than the physical one, think about it…

• Peter November 22, 2011 / 1:09 am

What God are you talking about ? is it the reflection of your homophobic superego? and since when did God assign you as “his” personal spokesperson !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Mish November 22, 2011 / 12:05 am

ktsiiiir 7abbet l post ya BB😛 *thumbs up*
    and majdi w wajdi are just hilarious😀

• BeirutBoy November 22, 2011 / 12:48 pm

ya hayatsiiiiiiiyooo! Merci 3al comment yalle 3meltsaaaa! MWAH

12. Karim. December 11, 2011 / 4:05 pm

Ok this is hilarious! Especially Majdi, haha!
    Well, again I think any publicity is good publicity and more importantly we aren’t INVISIBLE anymore! And that’s great🙂

13. Karim. December 11, 2011 / 4:11 pm

Oh wait I meant Wajdi… Ugh, the tiny fat one😛

14. Mohamed December 22, 2011 / 12:02 am

The only good thing about the show is that it says that gay characters can be on TV. However, they are a humiliation to all gay people in the Middle East.
    It would be better to see their boyfriends more (Marwan and Philip), to see other gay characters who are not sissy feminine.

• BeirutBoy January 1, 2012 / 6:42 pm

That’s a nice idea! Show us Marwan and Philip, bitches!

15. Farah Hashem February 21, 2012 / 4:46 pm

Well they are funny, it’s their job. Why would you people want them to stop that funny show?

16. ahmed July 2, 2013 / 8:40 pm