The F word

No, I don’t mean “Fuck”.

I’m talking about the other F word: fag.

History of “faggot”:

Back in the day, the word “faggot” meant wood or a bundle of sticks.

So how did the term “faggot” become associated with homosexuals?

During the European inquisition, witches were burned alive using wood. But when the people doing the fire would run out of wood or “faggots”, they used gay people instead of the wood. So gays were burned alive “like faggots and wood” to keep the fire going. Get it?

That’s why the term is considered to be pejorative and offensive to gays out there. It just comes from a very dark and hateful place.

So enough with the history, and back to now.

“Fag” and “Faggot” are used a lot within the gay community.

A gay guy can call another gay guy “fag” in a friendly and loving way, and it’s acceptable. On the other hand, when someone from outside the gay community uses it, it’s not acceptable, and so we immediately label the non-gay person using it as a homophobe. So there’s this double standard when it comes to using the word.

In the Lebanese gay community, the words “louteh” and “shezz” come to mind.

If I say to my gay friend: “Shou ya louteh? kifak?”, I say it with love and it’s okay. But when a stranger bullies my friend on the street and calls him “louteh”, it’s not okay.

So is using the word “fag” and dyke (aimed at lesbians) okay ONLY IF your intentions are good?

What do you think?

pic

14 thoughts on “The F word

1. Lebanon Rebel March 23, 2011 / 5:55 pm

Honestly I hate the words “fag” and “queer” both, no reasons but I prefer the term “gay” even with my friends just for fun. Personally though I wouldn’t give a damn what I’d be called whether it is in a friendly way or not. I guess I just really don’t care what people think of me or what they think in the first place. With friends we use the term “louteh” in arabic more than “shezz” cause the definition of “shezz” is ‘odd’, ‘abnormal’, ‘bizarre’, ‘eccentric’, ‘off-beat’ and it can even mean ‘freak’ and ‘bastard’ while “louteh” just means ‘gay’ and ‘homosexual’, even though depending on our very respectful (sarcasm of course) homophobic society it can also mean ‘pansy’, ‘sodomite’ and ‘prostitute’.

• BeirutBoy March 24, 2011 / 2:13 pm

It’s interesting. Some people don’t like to be referred to as Queer, while others demand it, cause they dont like to be identified by a specific gender…

2. Mi7tar March 23, 2011 / 6:16 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm

I have no idea why I don’t have any gay friend in my real life :S

Am i wired or something ? :S maybe 😦

We R as ppl accept anything came with a smile

Me and my friends we don’t use hello or hi LOL

Actully we use ” kis emk kefk ? ” or ” ya kis emk wallh wa7shny ” OR ” kis e5tk la t3ml hayk ” but we R saying it with a smile 😀

It’s not because we r gay we hate the F word , actually we hate the person who said it to us with anger or what ever they felt about us .

BTW THX 4 history class of fag ppl 😛

Hehe
    TTYL faggot 😛

• BeirutBoy March 24, 2011 / 2:15 pm

3allamnek a new word ya3ne ?!?!

Well, I didn’t start having gay friends until uni… It just comes with time…

• Mi7tar March 24, 2011 / 4:33 pm

LOL

La ma 3lmtny a new word baas ma kont b3rf alhistory tb3ha

Ri8 now I’m at my forth year at the uni and I don’t have any gay friend 😛

Kont btfkr iny teenager ? 😛 LOL

3. Mariam March 23, 2011 / 6:25 pm

I think words with a long history of hate should not be used period. It’s like the n-word, black people use it amongst each other or their friends are allowed to use it, but outsiders are not. The double standard is def. there. And when people in the community use it, it gives the wrong message that it’s okay.

• BeirutBoy March 24, 2011 / 2:22 pm

I get what ur saying. Reminds me of Helem’s IDAHO event last year. The event’s theme was “Ana shaz”, and I do understand how “shaz” was used in that context.
      But at the same time, I doubt that the average Lebanese person will get in which context “Shazz” was used.

4. Escapist March 23, 2011 / 6:44 pm

I honestly get more upset when someone says “gays” with the -s, such as “ref2ate l gays”. BITCH PLEASE! 😛

• BeirutBoy March 24, 2011 / 2:23 pm

B7ebba heydel “Bitch, Please!” hehe

ma3lesh. “el Gays” a7san men “el louwat”

5. BiSexuals March 23, 2011 / 8:36 pm

WOW a history lesson that we needed to know about since a lot of us do not know it 🙂

As for the question, well i do not like anyone to call me with anything not normal cause labeling me is a big mistake !!!

i am a simple guy, who is obliged to have a secret life and can not share it with a lot of people cause i have feelings for a guy 😦 this is not fair at all 😦

so i want people to call me with my first name ONLY 🙂

Thanks for sharing 😀

• BeirutBoy March 24, 2011 / 2:24 pm

I didn’t like to be labeled at first. Nowadays, I don’t mind it as much as I did …

hope u didnt sleep during the history lesson hehe

• BiSexuals March 24, 2011 / 3:14 pm

honestly, i did not knew about this info before yesterday 😉

btw, your history lessons are way exciting that the ones we used to have back in school 🙂

6. Tony March 25, 2011 / 3:40 pm

wrong.. the word should NOT be used period.
    I would tell my gay friend not to use it towards me even if he used it in a “loving” way . Its disrespectful and ugly.

7. Marie-H April 7, 2011 / 9:40 pm

This might be the most ridiculous thing ever.. Men were used as wood? Couldn’t they just burn the witches without anything added?
    And I doubt ‘God Hates Fags’ really exists in any religious book.