Charles Aznavour’s song about homosexuality

Gay supporter: Charles Aznavour

Charles Aznavour has a song about homosexuality called “What Makes A Man”.

According to the French-Armenian singer, it is the “first song about homosexuality”.

The lyrics are superb and the performance below is excellent.

Keep in mind: this song was relased in 1973, so the fact that Aznavour tackled the subject of homosexuality back then, at the expense of losing fans, is applaudable.

What a class act.

Here’s ‘What Makes A Man’ (‘Comme Ils Disent’ in French):

Lyric highlighs:

I help my mother with the chores
Though mum does too, I must admit. I do it better

At night I work in a strange bar. Impersonating every star
I do a very special show. Where I am nude from head to toe

So many times we have to pay. For having fun and being gay
It’s not amusing. There’s always those who spoil our games
By finding fault and calling names. Always accusing
Yet they make fun of how I talk. And imitate the way I walk
Tell me if you can. What makes a man a man

I know my life is not a crime. I’m just a victim of my time
I stand defenceless. Nobody has the right to be the judge of what is right for me
Tell me if you can. What makes a man a man

For full Lyrics, click HERE

pic

6 thoughts on “Charles Aznavour’s song about homosexuality

1. Pazuzu March 1, 2011 / 1:53 pm

Eh ok ok, armenian maybe, but don’t forget that Aznavour stayed in Lebanon for a year when he was 12! and according to my dad he lived in Mar Mkhayel al because the there was an Aznavourian family there 😛

Bas no, on the serious side, Aznavour is an impressive singer, but then again it was the Music Hall de Paris, it was the golden days where singers made peanuts, but there was a spirits of artistic apocalypse and tributes to alcohol, skin and pleasure. You know the song “mon martre”?

There’s a famous story about when Jacques Brel was totally broke, he needed somewhere to stay for cheap so Aznavour hooked him up with a roommate, a gay entertainer, and Jacques Brel was a major homophobe, so Aznavour used to rub it in his face 😀

• BeirutBoy March 1, 2011 / 2:51 pm

hehe I didnt know he lived in Beirut! That’s cool.
      I like ur stories Pazuzu! Seems like you know a lot about that time in music
      I searched about Mon Martre and found out how Aznavour relates to it! It led me to listen to “La Boheme”! Thanks!

• Pazuzu March 1, 2011 / 3:47 pm

well, I was a sucker for chanson music style (among other music styles), but the Music Hall spirit i learned about while reading the biography of Jacques Brel… Since, you know, as misogynist and homophobic I still adored that idiot… anyway, it was an interesting phase of the parisian history, I kind of like to compare it to hamra, but a more hardcore version 😉

peace, and keep up the beautiful writing

2. Aline C March 1, 2011 / 2:47 pm

Aren’t I proud of my fellow Armo 😛
    So interesting that he tackled this subject back 1970’s.

• BeirutBoy March 1, 2011 / 2:52 pm

I rly admire him for that! Takes a lot of courage!

3. dylangirl March 24, 2011 / 5:05 pm

I’ve always loved this man and this song.