Green Line: Before & After

In this picture, a bride (Christian) & groom (Muslim) cross Damascus Road.

This road is formerly known as the Green Line: a line that divided “Christian” East Beirut & “Muslim” West Beirut.

The place in this picture is an area between Yasou3iyye & Bashoura. It’s a walking distance from Downtown Beirut.

The Green Line that divided East & West Beirut

This is the same road in a picture I took 3 weeks ago.

The Sayegh Building has been renovated, but the building next to it is still very damaged & bullet stricken to this day, as are many buildings along this road.

The same place now

“before” picture source

9 thoughts on “Green Line: Before & After

1. yasmine January 3, 2011 / 10:45 am

The bride and groom crossing the Green Line is one of the most famous pictures from the Lebanese civil war – we actually had it in out textbooks…but at a different angle.

• BeirutBoy January 3, 2011 / 11:25 am

I’ve seen this pic in the “Lebanon Shot Twice” book. Whenever I go to Virgin, I look thru it. I’m obsessed with it…
      The “after” shot features Zaven Kouyoumjian (the author of the book) and his bride in the car.

2. bahaafe January 3, 2011 / 11:10 am

I’m loving these posts 🙂

• BeirutBoy January 3, 2011 / 11:26 am

Hope u adore what’s to come next. =)

3. Delirious January 5, 2011 / 1:38 am

awesome! first time I see this pic. keep ’em coming indeed 🙂

4. This is Beirut January 5, 2011 / 11:27 pm

Gem after gem after gem. I too am loving your posts recently..but this takes the cake as my favorite. I’ve never seen that photo of the bride and groom before, it evokes such feeling, such emotion. Thanks for sharing.