Too Much Sweetness Too Soon

It’s cool to be with a guy who brings you flowers, is nice to your parents, isn’t disgusted from your projectile vomit…a guy who tells you that you’re beautiful in a 3:00 a.m. text message.

But too sweet is sometimes a turn off.

I went on a good date with a guy and had a great time. But in the days that followed, he was messaging me saying the nicest things…things that you don’t necessarily say after only 2 days of chatting and a 3-hour date:

“I’m always thinking about you”

“I miss you”

I got turned off by all the sweetness! But why? Sweetness and romance are good things, aren’t they?

Maybe I wasn’t feeling it cause I still don’t KNOW the guy and he’s coming on too strong.

Or maybe I’ve been programmed to be attracted to a guy who is hard to get.

Am I looking for the thrill of the chase. Or am I just not into too much attention too soon?

Akh…does Madonna really know best?

Is rejection the greatest aphrodisiac?

pic source

10 thoughts on “Too Much Sweetness Too Soon

1. Joseph October 12, 2010 / 3:25 pm

My thoughts exactly! I was discussing this with a friend just last week ^_^

• BeirutBoy October 12, 2010 / 8:44 pm

And…what was the verdict? =P

2. Sleepless in Beirut October 12, 2010 / 4:59 pm

I feel you. You’re just not on the same level. If it’s that once-in-a-lifetime-crazy-love then there are no rules, an “I love you” could be very plausible the moment your eyes meet. But that’s not the case. You’re certainly not there. And it takes two.
    I’ve been there before. Remove yourself before it’s too late. You could always give him the benefit of a doubt. Maybe his previous experiences led him to think that that’s what works in relationships, maybe that’s what his previous guy enjoyed. Voice your concern without injuring him…which is usually done by saying something sincere nice ABOUT them and then bringing in reality by showing your concern about their ACTIONS. A good talk is always best. That is if you think he is worth. If you don’t. Screw the drama and run!

• BeirutBoy October 12, 2010 / 8:36 pm

I liked him…but if I liked him ENOUGH…I wouldn’t have been as turned off as I am now. With that said…there’s still gonna be a second date!
      10x 4 ur nice comment SiB 🙂

3. SleeplessinCairo October 12, 2010 / 7:28 pm

If you really like him, but don´t think it will work, why don´t you just tell him that you can´t share the same reaction he has over you because you still really don´t know him, in this , he will slow down….its just like a feedback system that keeps things under control. Do it!

In another story, I will meet a sweet guy today , in his place, and I know we´ll have fun, and I know we´ll then apart as if nothing happened…will be very sad….but I´m just too looking forward to a lingering feeling that it overcomes the ever lasting sense of it doesnt work that way!

• BeirutBoy October 12, 2010 / 8:43 pm

Well why go in the first place to his place…if later it’s gonna be like nothin happened?

• SleeplessinCairo October 13, 2010 / 7:20 pm

I went to his place, and we had some sort of fun…actually it was ¨sweet¨ more than anything else…I went because I had to…there is no reason…maybe because I needed my injection of a guy´s touch over my body…I don´t know…Do we?

• BeirutBoy October 13, 2010 / 7:43 pm

Akh…i get it. I totally get it.

4. Lindsay October 21, 2010 / 10:35 pm

I totally agree. There are some things he could probably say that would be much more exciting like, “I can’t get you out of my mind.” or something like that but to say “I miss you” or “I’m always thinking about you” would make me think he just wanted to feel like he’s in an instant relationship. How can you miss me if you barely even know me? There’s nothing to miss.

Well, from a girl’s perspective at least. 🙂

• BeirutBoy October 22, 2010 / 10:29 am