Gay Interfaith Relationships

Gay Interfaith Relationships? Doomed to fail?

What is up with gays who refuse to date someone who is not from their religion?

I never thought religion got in the way of gay relationships because gay relationships don’t lead to marriage in Lebanon (so far *Fingers crossed*) and so there will be no fights over:

– Are we gonna get married in a Church or what?

– Who’s gonna convert? Me or you?

– What religion are the children gonna follow?

I thought these were problems that only straight couples faced.

So if gays don’t have to worry about these issues in Lebanon, why do some of them refuse to date people from different religions?

Why should religion get in the way of a possible great date and or a healthy relationship?

There was one boy on Manjam (gay dating website) who in his profile mentioned something like “No Muslims Please!”.

My first thought was that he has something against Muslims but I could be wrong. Maybe he’s a very strong believer in Christianity and simply prefers that his boyfriend is a Christian too so it would make things easier.

But still. If I respect what you believe in and you respect what I believe in, and as long as we have a healthy dialogue on religious issues, what’s the problem?

I’m not religious so I might not get it. But as a gay man living in Lebanon, I know better for fuck’s sake!

I’m constantly discriminated against because I was born this way.

So why would I discriminate against someone who is born a Muslim, born a Christian, or born whatever, and rule them out as possible friends or lovers?

Pic Source

16 thoughts on “Gay Interfaith Relationships

1. Ekios September 20, 2010 / 7:41 pm

“I’m constantly discriminated against because I was born this way.”

My dear BeirutBoy … i’m so sad to tell you this … but … welcome on earth son …

Humanity ain’t peaceful place with little birds and co. We are animals who want to controls the others.In relation with that we try to make a maximum of differences between each others so we can place ourself over each others.

I don’t know if i’m saying it right, my english is too limited to explain what I have in mind. But my point is, discrimination is a power tool like religion, money, sex.

Pointing a difference, is giving a power to the finger who point at it : “He’s different, he’s dangerous, we have to erase him !”.

Or a power to the one who claims it : “I’m different, i’m better, follow/obey me.”

That’s why i’m always getting hysterical when I see gay ppl asking the right for the “difference” —i’m gay ok ? leave me alone !—… these stupid dumb idiots don’t understand that they have to ask the right for “indifference” —If im gay or not ? Who cares ? Do I ask If you like to eat vege or meat ?— ..

• BeirutBoy September 20, 2010 / 8:12 pm

Don’t worry. I understood what u said =)

But I still didn’t get to hear what u think about “inter-religious gay relationships”.

Can they work or no?

Do you find it easy or hard to date someone who is not from your religion?

And btw…my point was that BECAUSE I’m discriminated against…I will NOT discriminate against anyone because of what or who they are.

• Ekios September 20, 2010 / 8:25 pm

It depends on my date’s faith. If that person is 300% in religion, no matter what religion it is, it won’t work since I .. “hate” religions. I dated the 3 majors religions in my life without have “me” any kind of issue with that. Their families sometimes had issues with “me” because I wasn’t a “good believer”.

But on that concern my opinion can’t really have a value, I ain’t lebanese, I ain’t living in Lebanon. I grow up in peace, in freedom of mind and speech. My parents raised me with values which included “don’t judge for the color, the religion, the taste, but by acts, words, thoughts.”

So am I, or I try to be.

Still, I do know or can easyly figure all the pressions in this country when it comes about relations ships issues, since i’m in love with a beautiful person in Lebanon… it’s not easy at all … this country ain’t made for love 😦

2. Ice Queer September 20, 2010 / 7:46 pm

I liked “I’m constantly discriminated against because I was born this way.

So why would I discriminate against someone who is born a Muslim, born a Christian, or born whatever, and rule them out as possible friends or lovers?”

Nice post! =)

• BeirutBoy September 20, 2010 / 8:14 pm

Thank u so much =) Glad u enjoyed it.

• Ekios September 20, 2010 / 8:53 pm

Yep it helps 😉

It’s the country the issue :s

3. Daniël September 20, 2010 / 8:47 pm

I’m atheist and have lived together with a Lebanese Maronite guy for almost 7 years now. Never ever we’ve seen problems related to religion. Com’on: if you both respect eachothers religion (or atheism) you’d be a fool letting the man of your dreams walk away…..

Or does it help that I am Dutch and that we live in Holland? 😉

• BeirutBoy September 20, 2010 / 8:54 pm

Thanks for ur comment and the feedback u just gave =)

Glad to see it works with u guys! As u said…as long as there’s RESPECT.

4. babagannouj September 20, 2010 / 10:44 pm

i feel like if you’re gay, the last thing on your mind should be religion.

religion prohibits you from being with someone from the same sex to start off with, let alone someone from the same sex and from a different religion.

i think you shouldn’t be both religious and gay.

• yasmine September 21, 2010 / 4:38 pm

I have to disagree with you. You can be both gay and religious. It is just a matter of respecting other people’s faith and beliefs.

It’s like the Muslim who drinks – it’s between you and your faith.

5. A Bare Truth September 21, 2010 / 1:34 pm

It only shows how most people are retarded in this country. Gay or no-gay, one should appreciate someone else for his own values and personality not bec he belongs to a certain denomination. It’s so stupid. Christian, muslim and jew pray for the One guy. So who cares which road they take. This is sth personal.
    One can just pass by the love of his love bec he is too blinded by crap.
    I would only be with someone bec he loves, respects and adores me. Not because we share the same faith.

6. yasmine September 21, 2010 / 3:27 pm

So true – such a sad thing that people just can’t get past the religion issue here…..

7. Pazuzu September 28, 2010 / 11:08 am

Well sectarianism is not just about practicalities, of course in pubic they say that it’s about who’s gonna convert and children and marriage stability, but in fact sectarianism is just like any other form of discrimination, it’s about hatred.

In the lebanese LGBT community, many socially constructed forms of discrimination are questions, but they are not always brought down. A large percentage of the LGBT population still hates people from other religions, they are still sectarian, just as many are still racist, others are still sexist, and most are still transphobic and homophobic.

Homosexuality/Transgenderism is an identity, not a political choice 😉

• BeirutBoy September 28, 2010 / 11:46 am

I agree!

Really so sad.

How could you be so discrminating against ANYONE when you as a member of the LGBT community are constantly hated on and discrminated against?

8. Marissa April 22, 2013 / 9:56 pm

Anybody who is prepared to get a effectively-toned stomach can use this belt.