Acid night club forced to close on Thursday. Didn’t open on Friday.

I thought I was going to have a great fabulous night out in one of my favorite clubs in town: Acid Night Club (Sin El Fil)

Boy, was I very mistaken.

Just before me and my friend arrived there, we got a call from one of our friends saying Acid will not open tonight.

Apparently, Acid was open on Thursday night in time for the Eid and was forced to close.

I also heard 30 plus party goers were arrested and the club was vandalized.

What was the REAL reason behind banning the club to open, though?

Some say it was forced to close because it opened its doors during a religious holiday. But I don’t think that’s valid cause Acid has opened its doors during the Eid numerous times before.

And if it’s really the “Eid” excuse, what about the clubs in Gemmayzeh? Why weren’t they forced to shut down?

If it’s true what I heard that they arrested people partying in the club, why were those people arrested? Is it because they were partying during the Eid. Or is it cause they were at a gay club?

Just for your information, we ended up going to Milk, another gay club in Beirut, and the night sucked, mostly because the music wasn’t that good and because of…well…the absence of cubes.

Update (Saturday night):
The
Lebanese LGBT Media Monitor contacted Georges Azzi who had the following to say: “Helem contacted ACID and they said that the place was ordered to close by the municipality following noise complaints from neighbors, the police did NOT raid the venue and nobody got arrested.”

Update (Monday morning):
According to a source who spoke to
GayMiddleEast, “a building in the vicinity of the club was offered for sale to the club owner who refused.” GME’s source also suggests “the complaint from the “neighbours” was an attempt to force the club owner to purchase the property.”

—————————————————————

To check out my post: “A Night Out in Acid”, click HERE.

18 thoughts on “Acid night club forced to close on Thursday. Didn’t open on Friday.

1. Joseph September 11, 2010 / 4:44 pm

I don’t think it has anything to do with the Eid, I’m afraid.

On Thursday morning, a friend of mine who works in a copy center in sin el fil told me that some guy came in and printed some pictures of some gays and transsexuals taken outside Acid and that he was planning to sue Acid or file a complaint against them or something.

The pictures were harmless, but it showed a transsexual dressed explicitly hugging another guy.

I sure hope they released those people…

• BeirutBoy September 11, 2010 / 5:10 pm

Let’s hope what I heard about the arrests is false.

And if it’s NOT the Eid excuse, I don’t get how a legitimate club can just be forced to shut down!

There really IS no other reason to shut it down other than the fact that it’s a gay club.

• ash September 12, 2010 / 10:02 am

How did the Guy look like Joseph??

2. Ekios September 11, 2010 / 7:48 pm

Guys, i’m not well aware of the lebanese laws about gay ppl .. but I think it’s something like a year in jail or worst … so these arrests have been done probably on these charges 😦

Plus, [*Correct me if i’m wrong*] : If, it’s about the Eid, “who” arrested them then ?? Since the cops have no laws for them to arrest anyone bcs of a religious thing …

It’s not against the law to party during Eid for who ain’t muslim right ? We are still talking of Lebanon, right ?

(Or is it already the Islamic Republic of Lebanon … ?)

Please guys take a few scs to answer me, and, please, forgive me for my poor english, i’m a bit tired 😉

• BeirutBoy September 11, 2010 / 8:17 pm

Article 534 of the Lebanese Penal Code criminalizes “sexual acts against nature” and targets homosexuals in Lebanon. So if gays are arrested based on this law, they face up to 1 year in prison.

On Thursday & Friday nights, I saw that Gemmayze pubs and bars were open. So it’s definitely NOT a religious thing.

If it were, they would have closed ALL Gemmayze.

I believe Acid always opens its doors during the EID if it can. On the contrary, lots of Muslim girls & boys will come because it’s a holiday.

Some are even saying it’s a dispute with people who live close to the club. I don’t think these families are very happy there’s a gay club next to them. But what? They just close the fuckin club because of a dispute?

3. Ekios September 11, 2010 / 9:56 pm

Ok for the law, so it is possible that these ppl have been arested for being gay. Don’t get me wrong, it makes me sick…

BUT, since it’s the “LAW”, it’s … hum … well … no … i can’t say that … but … erm erm erm … well … it’s “legally ok” … lets say it so … “sick face”

Now, can a religious “team” arrest ppl because they don’t respect the Eid ? Is it legally (or not) possible in Lebanon ? Did it already happen once or a few ?

If it’s about a dispute, well, then the big reaction is easily explainable … just remember the last parking lot dispute ? Ring a bell ? 😦

4. Daisy September 11, 2010 / 10:24 pm

Quoting from Georges Azzi’s comment from the LGBT Media Monitor:

“just called ACID. the place was closed by the municipality in the morning of Thursday not during the party because ” machekeil idaryei with the municipality and the neighbors “….. NOBODY was arrested since the place was closed when the municipality police came.”

5. PaCHa September 12, 2010 / 9:59 pm

Dear Friends,
    Here’s the real story :
    Near the Acid is a new Building Delux
    Some people just moved in !
    nd they Called the cops thursday Saying that It’s a place for SEX, Drugs and Uncasual stuff… And seems he pays more than 5000 USD for Sin el fil ‘s Police; so they came and closed it without taking anyone to jail or touching anyone
    And it’ll reopen soon as it seems, Next week !
    Best regards
    😉

6. A Bare Truth September 13, 2010 / 11:48 am

I don’t think the eid had anything to do with the arrest nor the closing. It doesn’t make sense. It was the only gay venue that was shut down.

• BeirutBoy September 14, 2010 / 9:37 am

Yeah I read this one!

Thanks Ekios! =)

• RAMI January 25, 2011 / 5:10 pm

THE HEAD OF THE MINISTRY OF TOURISM FADI ABBOUD JUST ISSUED A WARRANT TO CLOSE ACID NIGHTCLUB PERMANENTLY THIS COMES AFTER FEW DAYS WHEN “MAJLES SHURA L DAWLE” PERMITTED ITS OPENING, I READ THIS ON LEBANONFILES
        WERE BACK TO THE ICE AGE WITH THAT GUY WHO CANT SEE BESIDES HIS NOSE.

7. Zack January 27, 2011 / 4:24 pm

Well they say its the cheapest place to be and its disgusting repulsive bla bla bla whatever ,,, mentioning music is number one sound system , music , lighting lazer smoke machine ever in lebanon , i went to milk club and so music is so damn repulsive repetitive beats they used to play hip hop and now no ! ! ! life bar is the smallest gay pub but i prefer it over milk !! i just wanna say this so ,,, for the milk owners or whatever ! get better music and start to play more hip hop and commercials + electronic .. that’s acid style !

8. Hamid February 4, 2013 / 10:55 am

Hey,
    I’d like to have complemantary information about gay area & gay night club in Beirut , I will come to beirut in March 2013. please give me more info. about gay in beirut.
    Thank you.